Friday, April 20, 2012

Spinach Dip Turned Casserole


This is one of those meals that is the direct result of trying to use up things before they go bad.  Many of these come about on Friday night after we have exhausted the supply of planned meals and I'm trying to clean the fridge ahead of Saturday morning's grocery shopping trip.

I love spinach dip but rarely do we use more than half the container before it has seen its better days.  I just so happened to have some diced ham on hand a decided so make a sort of scalloped potato out of whatever I could find.  


So I started by dicing several large potatoes with the skins on and boiling until they were fork tender and drained them well.



I returned the potatoes to the pot and over low heat added 1/2 a diced onion and about 1 1/2 cups diced ham.  I let the onion soften and then added 1/2 block of cream cheese diced and about 1/2 a container of spinach dip.  I added some milk to loosen the mixture a bit.


When it was heated through I topped with 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese and heated a couple of minutes more until the cheese was melted.  It ended up more like a loaded baked potato or creamy potato casserole - I never know what to name these kinds of recipes.  Served with a nice big salad, you can see from the pot that this was a big hit.







No comments: