Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Blueberry Coconut Muffins

This bright little muffins will take you straight to spring!  I made both the large and mini muffin sizes and my crew has been gobbling them up.  

My base recipe came from my standby cookbook - good ol' Betty Crocker.  This recipe is a great starting point to tweak as you wish.


1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil (I always use canola oil in my baking)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2 cups toasted shredded coconut
brown sugar

Start by toasting about the coconut by spreading it on a baking sheet evenly and baking at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the edges are browned.  Stir once or twice during the baking process.  

I made two batches of this separately.  I was afraid that because of the blueberries the consistency of the dough might not stay the same if I doubled the recipe.  The first batch I made regular muffins and lined the muffin tin with paper liners and the second I made mini muffins and used cooking spray to coat the tin.  
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and set aside.

In another mixing bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil and beat slightly until the egg is broken up.  Add all at once to the center of the dry mixture.  Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).  Add the blueberries and a good handful of the toasted coconut and carefully fold into the batter.
For large muffins, use a regular size ice cream scoop to drop batter into the tin.  For mini muffins, use a mini ice cream scoop.  Sprinkle the tops with brown sugar and more toasted coconut.  Bake at 400 degrees until set - tops will remain light.  This will take about 18 minutes for large muffins and about 10 minutes for mini muffins.  Let cool completely before storing or cover overnight with a loose towel.  This will keep the tops from getting sticky.

1 comment:

mail4rosey said...

Blueberry and Coconut...yes yes yes. :)