Monday, September 23, 2013

A Cheerful Treat to Start Fall!

I'm back!!  Life has just been very full lately and I have not had a chance to get my thoughts in writing lately.  I hope you have all been having a lovely start to fall.  Its certainly starting to feel like it around here with cooler temperatures, football, fuzzy critters and changing leaves.  We are finally settled in enough at the new house for me to get back to being creative in the kitchen so I have spent the last two Sundays baking nearly all day.  That is something I truly love - a Sunday with a house full of football cheering, snuggles and the smells of something tasty in the oven or simmering on the stove top all day!  I had a sweet tooth and decided to make some Rice Krispy treats but I wanted to do something special so I come up with these sweet little pumpkins and they were a hit!  My daughter has already asked that I make them for a class treat for Halloween - seeing as they were so fast and easy I am happy to oblige.

2 tbsp butter
1 - 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
red and yellow food coloring - I used Wilton gel coloring
6 cups crispy rice cereal

Melt butter in a large pot over low heat.  Add marshmallows and food coloring and stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted.  Don't worry if your color starts out day-glow orange like mine did.  I will admit this particular shade had me in a panic.  But it will lighten as your marshmallows melt and again when you add the cereal.  If its too red just add more yellow.
Add your cereal and stir until completely coated.  Spread out on waxed paper and let cool a minute or two until you can handle it and it stays in a ball when formed.  *Butter your hands before handling and after every few balls.  As the mixture cools, form into balls.  I sorta liked the way they looked making them different sizes and we had one really big one we saved until last that we called "The Great Pumpkin".  Let them set on the waxed paper until completely cooled.
I used a tube of the pre-made Wilton frosting in green for the stems and leaves.  These tubes are the perfect size for these projects and they accept a standard frosting tip.  I used a small round tip to pipe some curly stems first and then a medium star tip (couldn't find my leaf tip) to drag out a little leaf on each pumpkin.  Let them sit about 15 minutes until the frosting is dry to the touch and then they can be stored in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap.  They will stay good for 2-3 days.

No comments: