Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Davy Crockett Cookie Bars


Oh how I love to have something warm and scrumptious baking away in the oven on these chilly fall days.  I am often scouring my recipe collection for something I can make out of whatever is on hand.  I recently discovered these Davy Crockett Bars while searching for something sweet and rustic in a Bar Cookie Bonanza recipe booklet produced by Country Magazine (at the time of its printing in 1982 it was called Country EXTRA newspaper).  Many of my recipe books were passed on to me from women in my family and this one came from my grandmother.  I was partly drawn these cookie bars right off the bat because of the name - I was a big Davy Crockett fan after watching the Disney movie as a kid.


The recipe was contributed by Mrs. Daryl Long of Peru, Nebraska - a big shout out to you, Mrs. Long - we totally enjoyed these!  The recipe makes several dozen bars depending on the size you cut them so its perfect for a crowd or to package in pairs in a snack-size baggie for tossing into lunches and pockets for a snack on the run.  They were soft and chewy but had crispy edges around the edge of the pan and I will confess they were as good with our morning coffee as they were as dessert while we watched the football game...



Davy Crockett Bars

2 cups flour, sifted
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 6-ounce package chocolate chips
2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.  Mix in brown sugar, oats and chocolate chips.  Combine eggs, oil and vanilla.  Stir in to chocolate chip mixture.  Press into ungreased 15 x 10 x 1 jelly roll pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool slightly before cutting.

No comments: